Second Semester!

Short Film

The Process

For this project we were to create a short film story, then write a script for it. We started in early April and presented on May 20. We worked on writing our own stories until May, and then we chose our favorites to produce. I was the main script supervisor in editing and I made sure it would make sense as a story. I signed up to work on a comedy, but I ended up doing a drama story. It wasn't what I wanted, but I still had fun creating it. Through writing my own story, I drew inspiration from an already existing story-The Office-but I made sort of a Prequel.

What I learned

One of the biggest challenges we faced was that in filming, I wasn't able to be there so for a reason I don't understand, my group didn't follow the script. This created problems in editing because we had to resequence the film to fill plot holes. I learned some new lighting techniques in editing which could be utilized to create a police car effect. I also became familiar with a stabilizer effect in editing because for some mobile shots we were not able to use a tripod.

Next time

For another project I would make sure the schedule was so that I could be there for filming to make sure it would work as a cohesive film. This will be helpful in post-production and meeting the deadline because figuring out how to make the story make sense and having to re-film some scenes was more time and effort than just following the script in the first place.

Music Video

The Process

The objective of this project was to choose a music video and recreate it. We worked on this for about a month, the majority of this time being pre-production. Pre-production was so time consuming because we had to go through the original video frame by frame to catch all the details.

What I learned

This music video had a fun workout video style along with lots of fun transitions. To achieve this, I experimented with masks in premiere and one transition I created was a star to reveal the next clip. I also experimented with lighting and color correction to give the video the sort of retro looking style of the video. 

Next Time

Fir another project, I would define roles more specifically and then there would be fewer collaboration issues and such. One thing I remember was that this project specifically was quite difficult to meet the deadline because there seemed to be so many parts to the project:choosing a video, examining it, storyboarding, filming, editing, and then putting in the audio. To fix this, I would create a very specific production schedule to stick to.

Overall reflection

I think that overall my communication was good. For example, with my very busy ballet schedule, I often wasn't able to come to filming and outside of class work, but I always told my team ahead of time if they were scheduling something I wouldn't be able to be at. My technical skills have definitely improved this semester, partly from experience, but partly from going out of my way to research how to do something if I didn't know. I think that my camera skills have improved as well, including using a tripod effectively, and efficiently using a camera. Next year I will be doing online school so I won't be in the e-communications program next year. Although I am looking forward to this new experience, I am sad that I am leaving this academy that has taught me so much about managing time and working as a group. My videos overall have improved over time, and I am proud of my progress. In class, especially since I usually can't work out of class, I use my time very wisely and contribute to my group effectively. If I finished early, I would always look back at other assignments and double check that they were all turned in. If not, I would look through the project and make sure it was my best work or if there was something I should improve. Additionally, I would make sure that the audio was consistent throughout the video because it's an easy fix and can do a lot for the quality of the film. I loved getting to know the people in my classes and having fun with them. I have also loved learning new techniques in filming and editing. I think, in a more mature and skilled class, choosing groups would enhance the work instead of  ruin it, like what could happen in a less mature class. This semester especially has taught me a lot about working with others, even if you may not have the best personal relationship with them. Next year I would like to make myself meet deadlines with more consistency and have a more professional feeling in my work.

Strengths and weaknesses

One of my greatest strengths is organizing and planning for the work ahead. Something I want to improve is my camera skills, just the simple anatomy of the camera so I can use it easier and faster. I think simply more experience in this area will promote improvement.

Comments

Popular Posts