written news story

High School Baseball Player Named Overall Best Player In Kansas
After working hard his entire life, Brady Slavens has become an outstanding baseball player, even winning the title of the best baseball player in the state of Kansas in the year of 2018.

Slavens will soon graduate in December 2018 and attend Wichita State to continue his baseball career in college.

It is also possible that Slavens will eventually be drafted into a major league baseball team, further opening Slavens’ options for his future career in baseball.

Because of the time consuming nature of sports like baseball, it is necessary to find all the extra time available and be able to divide it among work, school, and family.

Slavens says that although this aspect of the sport is a struggle sometimes, he has never let it cause his devotion to baseball falter.


Intro

To write a news story, the writer needs to focus on only the important details and to make the story as clear as possible with little extra information.To write this story, I based the structure off of the bottle story, and used the facts and story from the feature news piece I created about Brady Slavens. I started by basically explaining the headline, and slowly getting more and more detailed in my sentences. I also paraphrased what Brady said about scheduling when we interviewed him for our feature news project.

Skills

I liked how simple and to the point the process was, and that you can see a major difference in the feature news story and the hard news story, even though they were based on the same subject. When writing this story, I learned how to stick to just the facts but still be able to effectively tell the reader about the subject. I think I still need to work on ordering the topics, to achieve the inverted pyramid effect of increasing detail.

Conclusion

Next time I am writing a news story, I will again find an example that I can base my story off of so that I can make sure I am on the right track with my writing. I think that after writing a hard news story, My feature news work will improve as well, because I will be able to easier sequence the story and decide which topics are most important.

Comments

Popular Posts